Become a Nourri-Source Montreal breastfeeding support volunteer
Is breastfeeding and helping others important to you?
Would you like to offer personalized assistance, answer questions and provide support, encouragement and information to breastfeeding mothers and their families?
Don't wait any longer and become part of Nourri-Source Montreal's network of 200 volunteers!
Who are breastfeeding support volunteers?
A breastfeeding support volunteer is a volunteer mother who
- Has at least 6 months of breastfeeding experience;
- Considers breastfeeding to be the standard of feeding for babies;
- Wants to help and support families in her community to achieve their breastfeeding goals;
- Wants to increase their knowledge of breastfeeding;
- Is part of a local group of volunteers, divided by sector (see map below).
Words from a support volunteer...
«It is so rewarding to help other moms during this intense time of breastfeeding.
Personally, it made me feel useful during my second maternity leave and I know that, for some moms, it made all the difference. »
The role of the breastfeeding support volunteer
- Accompany breastfeeding mothers and provide support by telephone if they request it, free of charge and on a voluntary basis;
- Offer active listening, encouragement and information to breastfeeding mothers and their families;
- Adopt a non-judgmental and respectful attitude towards families' choices in their interventions;
- Be involved in prenatal meetings, breastfeeding drop-in sessions and activities in their sector,
- Act in accordance with the Nourri-Source Federation's Code of Ethics. (in French only)
The benefits of becoming a breastfeeding support volunteer
- Get involved and make a difference in your community according to your availability;
- Be part of a vast support network;
- Contribute to the normalization of breastfeeding and the emergence of a breastfeeding culture in Quebec;
- Feel the gratification of helping families and making a difference with them during their breastfeeding journey;
- Attend continuous education sessions and events of the organization;
- Receive discounted access to several conferences, seminars and training sessions given by its partners;
- Represent the organization during activities or special events;
- Have the right to speak and vote at the annual general meeting, in order to elect the members of the board of directors.
Words from a mentee...
« My breastfeeding support volunteer was a reassuring presence as soon as I started breastfeeding.
She gave me information that was instrumental in allowing me to breastfeed for as long as I wanted.
She is a person I fully trust in relation to breastfeeding and this made (and still makes) a big difference for me! »
How can I become a Nourri-Source Montreal Breastfeeding Support Volunteer?
You must reside on the island of Montreal;
You must have breastfed at least one child for a minimum of six months;
You must commit to a minimum of one year's involvement and participate in the activities of your sector and the organization;
You must attend the information session for aspiring support volunteers and the basic training for breastfeeding support volunteers.
Aspiring Support Volunteer Information Session
Duration: : 30 minutes
Location : online, on the secure Zoom platform
The purpose of this short information session is to introduce future support volunteers to Nourri-Source Montreal and the commitment required.
The session is held in a small group, so you will have the opportunity to ask questions.
If you are interested in volunteering, you will be invited to fill out a volunteer profile questionnaire and register for the basic training for support volunteers.
Register by clicking on the link for the desired date among the following.
- Thursday, September 14th, 2023 from 9:30am to 10:00am
- Monday, September 18th, 2023
from 7:00pm to 7:30pm
- Monday October 2th, 2023
from 7:00pm to 7:30pm
- Thursday, November 2th, 2023
from 9:30am to 10:00am
- Thursday, December 14th, 2023
from 9:30am to 10:00am
Basic training for breastfeeding support volunteers
Duration : 13,5 heures
Location :online, on the secure Zoom platform
Due to the current pandemic, the training is given entirely online since April 2020.
Cost : free for Nourri-Source Montreal's aspiring support volunteers
Completely revised in 2019, the new support volunteer training includes basics of breastfeeding and active listening, as well as time for questions and group discussions.
The training aims to provide the knowledge and tools needed to begin mentorship and volunteer activities.
The training is offered in English and French and consists of three parts:
Volunteering at Nourri-Source Montreal and breastfeeding in Quebec (3h)
This first part allows the breastfeeding support volunteer to understand the context of her volunteer work. The functioning of Nourri-Source Montreal as well as the tools and resources available are presented. Then, the portrait of breastfeeding in Quebec is presented, which leads to some great discussions!
The basics of breastfeeding (6h)
This section is divided into two blocks, allowing the breastfeeding support volunteer to acquire relevant basic knowledge on breast anatomy and lactation physiology. It also addresses common breastfeeding issues and challenges from birth to weaning, enabling the breastfeeding support volunteers to support breastfeeding families appropriately, regardless of their personal journey.
Helping relationships and active listening (3h) and role playing (1,5h)
This last component is also divided into two parts. The first part consists of independently viewing videos on active listening and providing assistance. During the last block of training, the support volunteers will have the opportunity to discuss the content of the videos and to delve into certain concepts. Finally, the training ends with case studies and discussions to begin putting into practice what has been learned.
All four blocks must be taken to complete the basic training.
Please note that it is preferable to take all the blocks with the same group, but other arrangements can be made.
You will receive the links to register after attending the information session.
ENGLISH - Wednesday and Thursday EVENING from 18:30 p.m. to 21:30 p.m. over 2 weeks
- Part 1 : Wednesday, October 4, 2023
- Part 2 : Thursday, October 5, 2023
- Part 3 : Wednesday, October 11, 2023
- Part 4 : Thursday, October 12, 2023
The Nourri-Source Montreal sectors
The Nourri-Source Montreal network of breastfeeding support volunteers is divided into 15 teams, called "sectors".
In this way, the support volunteers work in collaboration with the CLSCs and community organizations in the area where they live.
In addition, support volunteers are matched with families in their community, whenever possible.
In each sector, some support volunteers will hold management positions.
They act as a bridge between their area and the Nourri-Source Montreal office.
There are many interesting and rewarding roles and responsibilities to share within the different sectors of the organization.
Sign up now for an information session!
« At Nourri-Source Montreal, we treat the uniqueness and diversity of each individual and family with great respect. We welcome all families: single-parent, adoptive, foster, ethnocultural, two-parent (regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity), blended, extended, polyparental, transgender, multi-parental, with children living with their parent(s) or not, etc. We value a diversity of people, values and perspectives in order to build a strong and inclusive community. ».
’In order to continuously improve our activities and services, we appreciate comments, testimonials, complaints, ideas and suggestions of all kinds.
Thank you in advance for your feedback!